Announcing the highly-acclaimed London Festival Opera with Symphony Nova Scotia! Tickets now available!
For the first time ever, the prestigious London Festival Opera performs with Symphony Nova Scotia!
Join us for a rare Halifax performance of hits from the world’s best-loved operas on Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 7:30 pm at Halifax’s Rebecca Cohn Auditorium.
Thanks to the generous support of Halifax philanthropists Margaret and David Fountain, here’s your chance to hear highlights from all your favourite operas, performed with polish and panache by one of the world’s most prestigious private opera companies.
Featuring top-tier, highly acclaimed operatic singers from across Europe, the London Festival Opera is “opera at its very best” (Oxford Times), performing for prime ministers, presidents, and even Her Majesty the Queen.
Now, this acclaimed company comes to Halifax for the very first time in this exciting event, performing beloved hits from Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro, Rossini’s Barber of Seville, Bizet’s Carmen, Verdi’s La Traviata, Puccini’s Tosca, and many more!
London Festival Opera concert details:
- Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 7:30 pm
- Rebecca Cohn Auditorium, Halifax
- Featuring Symphony Nova Scotia,the London Festival Opera, sopranos Katherine Blumenthal and Ania Jeruc, mezzo-soprano Yvonne Fontane, tenor Luis Gomes, and baritone David Stephenson
- Conducted by Canadian rising star conductor Jordan de Souza
- Made possible through the generous sponsorship ofMargaret and David Fountain
- Tickets: $30 and up, HST included. Symphony subscribers save 10%!
To learn more, click here.
Hear highlights from some of the world’s most beloved operas!
This concert includes all your favourite songs from the world’s best-loved operas. Here’s just a sampling of the concert’s entertaining lineup:
- Take a listen to the memorable La donna è mobile from Verdi’s Rigoletto.
- Hear the unforgettable Habanera from Bizet’s Carmen, the world’s most often-performed opera.
- Enjoy the comedic Largo al factotum from Rossini’s Barber of Seville.
- Hear the beautiful Voi che sapete from Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro.
- Experience the elegant O mio babbino caro from Puccini’s Gianni Schicchi.
- Delight in Im Feuerstrom der Reben from Die Fledermaus by Strauss.
Media acclaim for the singers:
- “Katherine Blumenthal nailed the Queen of the Night’s high F’s.” – Boston Globe
- “The timbre of [Ania Jeruc’s] voice is pearly, almost Gheorghiu like, with fierce attack and a generally secure coloratura. But above all, she’s incredibly moving.” – The Telegraph
- “Yvonne Fontane‘s acting and singing is from the first until the last moment inspiring and extremely present.” – Klassik Heute
- “Portuguese tenor Luis Gomes [has a] thrilling top register.” – The Guardian
- “David Stephenson… had astonishing strength in his muscular baritone.” – The Guardian
Plus: London Festival Opera to perform at the Halifax Dance Viennese Opera Ball on February 11, 2017
The London Festival Opera will also be the guests of honour at Halifax Dance’s grand Viennese Opera Ball, happening Saturday, February 11, 2017 at Halifax’s World Trade and Convention Centre.
The Opera Ball is a unique and extraordinary performing arts gala that serves as Halifax Dance’s major annual fundraising event, raising funds to support programming excellence and outreach activities.
Highlighting the traditions and elegance of the Grand Balls of Europe, the Opera Ball features Symphony Nova Scotia’s full orchestra along with fine dining, ballroom dancing, and a special performance from the National Ballet of Canada.
Tables and individual tickets are now on sale at Halifax Dance. Please contact Amy at 902.422.2006 x. 2 for details.
About the London Festival Opera
The London Festival Opera has performed for presidents, prime ministers, and senior members of the British and European royal families, and has recently appeared in London, Rome, Paris, Hamburg, Brussels, Monte Carlo, Moscow, Marrakech, Mumbai, Barbados, and Hong Kong.
Engagements have included a private performance in the presence of Her Majesty The Queen, charity performances for the President of Malta at the Palace in Valletta, the Prime Minster at 10 Downing Street, the Ambassador at the British Embassy in Paris, and as a guest company in one of Italy’s greatest opera houses, La Fenice in Venice at the Carnival 2014.
Order your tickets today!
- Call 494.3820 or 1.800.874.1669
- Visit the Dalhousie Arts Centre Box Office at 6101 University Avenue, Halifax
- Hours: 12-6 pm weekdays
- Or click here to buy online.