Thanks to the generous support of TELUS Atlantic Canada Community Board, Symphony Nova Scotia’s new “Beyond the Hall” outreach program will bring the full orchestra and special guest Dave Gunning to Pictou County on Tuesday, April 7 and Wednesday, April 8, 2015.
“Beyond the Hall” takes Symphony Nova Scotia to regions across the province to “blitz” a community over a two-day period with some of the orchestra’s most popular education and outreach programs.
Most events will be free of charge, and will include school concerts, community programs, and interactive learning opportunities for Nova Scotians of all ages and income levels.
In addition to Pictou County, other future priority regions for “Beyond the Hall” include Cape Breton, the South Shore, and the Annapolis Valley.
“We’re so excited to be touring the orchestra again with our ‘Beyond the Hall’ program,” says Symphony Nova Scotia CEO Christopher Wilkinson.
“As Nova Scotia’s orchestra, it is our commitment to bring symphonic music to people all across the province. Thanks to the generosity of TELUS, we’re able to fulfill this commitment, and can’t wait to perform for the people of Pictou County.”
The Pictou County “Beyond the Hall” program will include a full-orchestra performance with Dave Gunning at the deCoste Centre, as well as school concerts and several sessions of “Musical Munchkins,” the orchestra’s free, interactive, dance-based program for toddlers.
Musicians will also take their instruments to the Shiretown Nursing Home, and will spend one-on-one time with students in workshops and classes.
The full schedule for the orchestra’s Pictou County “Beyond the Hall” tour includes:
TUESDAY, APRIL 7, 2015
- 10:30 AM: Musical Munchkins (ages 3-5), New Glasgow Library Community Room (free)
- 11:30 AM: Musical Munchkins (ages 3-5), New Glasgow Academy
- 2:00 PM: Brass workshop, New Glasgow Academy
- 2:00 PM: Ensemble performance, Shiretown Nursing Home
- 2:00 PM: Woodwind workshops (high school), North Nova Education Centre
- 7:30 PM: Concert with Dave Gunning, deCoste Centre ($38 / $35 members)
The program for the evening concert includes:
- Rossini: Overture to The Barber of Seville
- Delius: On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring
- Brahms: Hungarian Dances, no. 5 and no. 6
- Borodin: In the Steppes of Central Asia
- Dvorak: Slavonic Dance op. 46, no. 8
- Grainger: Scotch Strathspey and Reel, arr. Chris Palmer
Plus, songs from Dave Gunning:
- We’re All Leaving, arr. Rebecca Pellett
- Hard Workin’ Hands, arr. Chris Palmer
- Saltwater Hearts, arr. Claude Lapalme
- These Hands, arr. Palmer
- Prince of Pictou, arr. Craig Fair
- And more!
Tickets for the evening concert are $35-38, available at 1-800-353-5338 or online here.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 8, 2015
- 11:00 AM: School concert, deCoste Centre ($2)
- 12:30 PM: School concert, deCoste Centre ($2)
The school concerts feature fun and accessible music, including:
- Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Flight of the Bumblebee
- Glière: Russian Sailor’s Dance
- Songs with Dave Gunning
Beyond the Hall is generously supported by TELUS Atlantic Canada Community Board, with additional funding provided by Maritimes & Northeast Pipeline and Michelin.
Beyond the Hall is just part of Symphony Nova Scotia’s comprehensive music education initiatives, along with open rehearsals, school matinees, the Adopt-a-Musician program, the Musical Munchkins program, the Pop Goes the Easel! program, and the Library Series. These programs allow the orchestra to share the love of musical learning with over 15,000 young audience members each year.
For more information about Symphony Nova Scotia’s education and outreach programs, visit symphonynovascotia.ca.