Rebecca Thomas, poet and activist
Holly Mathieson, conductor
Laura Sgroi, composer
On the program
Laura Sgroi: We’re Not Done Drumming *
Interactive online Q&A with Rebecca Thomas, Laura Sgroi, and Holly Mathieson
* Commissioned by Symphony Nova Scotia and the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony.
Live Post-Concert Q&A with Rebecca Thomas, composer Laura Sgroi, and Holly Mathieson:
Original performance: November 7, 2019, Rebecca Cohn Auditorium, Halifax
Rebecca Thomas is a Mi’kmaw poet and activist whose poetry is “as melodic and witty as it is damning” (The Coast). Once Halifax’s Poet Laureate, now a speaker and author whose voice is heard from coast to coast, Rebecca brought her generous, powerful storytelling to Symphony Nova Scotia to deliver a captivating and challenging new work created in collaboration with Toronto composer Laura Sgroi.
- Does what you hear sound right or accurate to you? Does it challenge what you believe history to be?
- Do you feel angry, sad, satisfied with what you’re hearing? Why?
- Which voice do you feel more connected to? Why?
- Does listening to this inspire you to action? What can and will you do?