Classical Munchkins is an interactive, fun, and free program for pre-schoolers which offers up close and personal learning with symphony musicians. Symphony Nova Scotia partners with various Halifax libraries and museums to deliver this wonderfully engaging program. Our goal is to introduce your three- to five-year-old munchkins to music and motion in a fun and comfortable environment.
Two of our musicians will “show off” their instruments and explain how they work while playing familiar, delightful tunes. Children will be encouraged to dance around the room, “conduct” the music, or interpret the sounds through silly movement or funny faces — it’s all for fun, so however the children choose to embrace the music is perfectly fine with us!
Bring your toddler to a FREE Classical Munchkins performance for 30 minutes of musical demonstrations, games, and entertainment that will put the TV to shame! We’re happy to offer Classical Munchkins sessions to groups of children with special needs upon request.
Summer 2018 Schedule:
- Sackville Library – July 5 at 10:30 am
- Truro Library – July 5 at 2:30 pm
- Antigonish Library – July 10 at 10 am
- Baddeck Library – July 10 at 2 pm
- Sydney Library – July 11 at 10:30 am
- Port Hawkesbury Library – July 11 at 3 pm
- Liverpool Library – July 17, 2018 at 11 am
- Lockeport Library – July 17, 2018 at 3 pm
- Lunenburg Library – July 18 at 11 am
- Meteghan Library – August 8 at 10 am
- Digby Library – August 8 at 1 pm
- Westport Library – August 8 at 5 pm
- Kingston Library – August 9 at 10:30 am
- Kentville Library – August 9 at 1:30 pm
- Elmsdale Library – August 14 at 10:30 am
Registration is required; please contact your local library or museum for details.
Cost: These performances are free! Founding sponsor:
Check out a video of a Classical Munchkins session with Symphony musicians Lena Turofsky (bass) and Ivor Rothwell (bassoon/recorder).
Talk to us!
Do you have questions or comments about our education programs? We’d love to hear from you.