Symphony Nova Scotia’s “Beyond the Hall” outreach program takes Symphony Nova Scotia to regions across the province to “blitz” a community over a two-day period with some of the orchestra’s most popular education and outreach programs. Most events are free of charge, including school concerts, community programs, and interactive learning opportunities for Nova Scotians of all ages and income levels.
Thanks to the generous support of TELUS Atlantic Canada Community Board, “Beyond the Hall” brought the full orchestra to Pictou County on April 7 and 8, 2015. Other priority regions for the next few years include Cape Breton, the South Shore, and the Annapolis Valley.
A typical day of “Beyond the Hall” includes school concerts, reaching up to 1,600 students. Also, orchestra musicians will branch out into the community to present programs like “Musical Munchkins,” an interactive, dance-based session for toddlers. Musicians may also take their instruments to retirement communities and nursing homes, and spend one-on-one time with students in workshops and classes.
In the evening, the orchestra members will regroup to present a community concert for all ages. Along with a mix of popular, East Coast, and classical music, these concerts will aim to highlight a guest artist from the local community. Plus, a representative of the community’s best musical talent will be featured as guest artist with the orchestra in a rich collaborative concert.
PICTOU COUNTY SCHEDULE
TUESDAY, APRIL 7, 2015
- 10:30 AM: Musical Munchkins (ages 3-5), New Glasgow Library Community Room
- 11:30 AM: Musical Munchkins (ages 3-5), New Glasgow Academy
- 2:00 PM: Brass workshop, New Glasgow Academy
- 2:00 PM: Ensemble performance, Shiretown Nursing Home
- 2:00 PM: Woodwind workshops (high school), North Nova Education Centre
- 7:30 PM: Concert with Dave Gunning, deCoste Centre ($38 / $35 members)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 8, 2015
- Symphony Nova Scotia presents Peter & the Wolf:
- 11:00 AM: School concert, deCoste Centre ($2)
- 12:30 PM: School concert, deCoste Centre ($2)
The program for our full-orchestra concert with Dave Gunning included:
- Rossini: Overture to The Barber of Seville
- Delius: On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring
- Brahms: Hungarian Dances, no. 5 and no. 6
- Borodin: In the Steppes of Central Asia
- Dvorak: Slavonic Dance op. 46, no. 8
- Grainger: Scotch Strathspey and Reel, arr. Chris Palmer
- Dave Gunning:
- We’re All Leaving, arr. Rebecca Pellett
- Hard Workin’ Hands, arr. Chris Palmer
- Saltwater Hearts, arr. Claude Lapalme
- These Hands, arr. Palmer
- Prince of Pictou, arr. Craig Fair
- And other Dave Gunning solos!
The program for our school concerts included:
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Flight of the Bumblebee
- Glière: Russian Sailor’s Dance
- Prokofiev: Peter and The Wolf
- Dave Gunning songs (TBA)
Beyond the Hall is generously supported by the TELUS Atlantic Canada Community Board, with additional funding provided by Maritimes & Northeast Pipeline and Michelin.
Please stay tuned for details about upcoming tours!
Talk to us!
Do you have questions or comments about our education programs? We’d love to hear from you.