We were all very excited about performing with star Canadian cellist Shauna Rolston on Thursday, April 28, in our highly anticipated performance of Elgar’s Cello Concerto.
Unfortunately, we’ve learned that Shauna Rolston has had to withdraw from her performance schedule for the remainder of the season, due to personal matters that require her immediate attention.
We will miss performing with Shauna, but the show will go on! In Shauna’s place, we will be performing the Elgar Cello Concerto with Anglo-Canadian cellist Paul Marleyn.
Paul’s busy career has included performing with orchestras across Canada, releasing multiple acclaimed recordings, and spending five years as Principal Cellist of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic.
Acclaim for Paul includes:
- “A well-nigh unassailable technique… his smooth, rich tone had not the faintest trace of a rough edge.” – Daily Telegraph, London
- “Paul Marleyn’s playing is emotionally intense, physically big-boned, and never dull… well paced and strongly shaped.” – Gramophone
- “Paul Marleyn is a sensitive player of considerable insight and intelligence, with an impeccable technique and apparent infallibility of intonation.” – Liverpool Daily Post
If you were planning to attend this concert, and would like to inquire about other options, please contact the Dalhousie Arts Centre Box Office before April 27 at 6:00 pm:
- Phone: 902.494.3820
- In-person: 6101 University Avenue (open 12-6 pm Monday-Friday)
The remainder of Thursday’s concert will stay the same, and will feature our expanded orchestra of 59 musicians, conducted by Maestro Bernhard Gueller.
Alongside the beautiful Cello Concerto, we perform the hugely popular and deeply expressive Enigma Variations – including the signature “Nimrod” variation, a work of solemn, reflective beauty.
The complete concert program includes:
- Edward Elgar: Three Bavarian Dances
- Edward Elgar: Cello Concerto
- Edward Elgar: Enigma Variations
Thank you for your understanding!
Limited tickets for this concert are still available at 902.494.3820 or online here.