Want to play with the NSYO as a Featured Soloist? Enter our Concerto Competition!
The 2019 Nova Scotia Youth Orchestra Concerto Competition is open to any instrumentalist or vocalist aged 22 or younger by the deadline, who currently resides in or maintains a permanent residence in Nova Scotia. Present members or alumni of the NSYO are also welcome to apply, regardless of area of residence.
Your application should include:
- A recent recording (no older than six months) of a standard concerto (preferably a minimum of two contrasting movements) or a group of operatic arias. It is highly recommended that the material you submit is of sufficient length to show variety, i.e. a mixture of rhythmic and lyrical playing, etc. as opposed to exclusively fast or exclusively slow music. CD recordings or digital recordings only please.
- The 2019 application form: Concerto Competition Application Form [PDF]
- A current resume.
- Two reference letters from recognized professional musicians supporting the application.
How to submit your application:
- By mail: to the Nova Scotia Youth Orchestra at 301-5657 Spring Garden Road, Halifax, NS, B3J 3R4
- By email: to KyrieRobinson@symphonyns.ca.
Application deadline: March 8, 2019.
The competition will be judged by an independent jury, who will select a winner to perform with the NSYO during the 2019/20 concert season. The winner will be announced at the NSYO’s April 28, 2019 concert in Halifax.
For more information, please contact Kyrie Robinson at KyrieRobinson@symphonyns.ca.